Knowing how to get siblings to get along can be a bit overwhelming. The sibling dynamic is an interesting one. While sibling love is the goal, allowing for it to be a space for learning and growth is important too.
How to get Siblings to Get Along
- Encourage Team Work. These sibling teamwork games will have your little ones working together and having a blast.
- Focus on the positive. Use a kindness jar to keep track small acts of kindness, you’ll be surprised how quickly they add up when you’re paying attention. (Love this kindness jar idea from What Do We Do All Day.)
- Celebrate the fun stuff. Make a sibling book to remind your little ones just how much fun they have with their brother or sister. (Visit The Educators’ Spin On It to find how to make a sibling book. Just scroll down to the bottom of the post.)
- Help them manage conflicts. One of the great things about sibling relationships is they can be a safe place to learn about conflict resolution. And once they understand how to use it… you get a break from being involved!
- Show them what siblings getting along looks like. Read kids books, watch shows, and movies that promote sibling love or siblings that figure out how to get along. Check out some of our favorite sibling books. Stay away from those that make sibling relationships a constant battle.
- Make a sibling kindness list. Read this list of 10 Ways to be Kind to Younger Sibling from Toddler Approved, then help your kids come up with their own list. Write the list out and post it on the fridge.
- Teach them the art of negotiation. Help your kids learn how to use words and problem solving strategies so they can confidently handle their own sharing issues. Not Just Cute breaks down this let’s make a deal strategy.
- Prepare for new siblings. For those of you getting ready for a brand new sibling stock up on some books about babies that will help make the transition feel less overwhelming. This books about babies list from No Time For Flash Cards is great!
- Invite cooperative play. Have plenty of sibling toys and activities that encourage them to play together.
Do you have tips for how to get siblings to get along? Add them in the comments!
This post originally appeared on Aug 10, 2012.