Last fall I realized that it had been forEVER since Hubby and I had actually had a date night. Since having a quality marriage is important to both of us and because we also kind of like spending time together, that needed to change. We decided to make date nights a priority.
What’s the best way to make sure something happens around here? It has to go on the calendar.
To make it a little more fun we decided to rotate who plans the dates. The rules are that we have to keep in mind what the month looks like. That means sometimes there isn’t much extra money, sometimes there isn’t much extra time and sometimes we don’t have a babysitter. (All of those are important factors in date night… which means sometimes we have to get creative.)
Things went great for the first four months. But somehow I forgot that May was my month. The cool thing? Hubby reminded me as the end of the month approached. Guess what that means?!?! He noticed! He’s enjoying these date nights just as much as I am.
Special note – I’ve been asked a few times about the game in the picture. It is Catan, which is normally a 3-4 player game. It’s one of our all time favorite date night games. We found 2 player modifications online but found that we actually prefer playing regular rules… even with 2 players. (Affiliate link)
Because it was so last minute, the date had to be at home, it had to be pretty inexpensive and it had to be without a babysitter. I felt so rushed and no good ideas were coming to me… so I reached out to the most awesome group of people I could think of. My readers! (Are you receiving A Mom with a Lesson Plan emails? You should be! Click here to sign up)
The response was incredible and I just couldn’t keep it to myself. I’ve complied a list of all the awesome ideas that were sent to me. Some of these could be combined to make one incredible stay at home date night!
50 Date Night Ideas for at Home
- Have an indoor picnic.
- Beer tasting.
- Ice cream night. Buy small containers so you can both have your favorite flavor. Talk about ice cream memories from when you were young.
Make Sushi together.
- YouTube karaoke. Yes that is actually a thing!!! Search karaoke on YouTube and you will find tons of karaoke versions of songs.
- Paint together on a big canvas.
- Take a “how well do you know each other” trivia quiz.
- Wine tasting.
- Stargaze together and see how many constellations you can find.
- Roast marshmallows over a fire pit (or barbecue).
- Play video games together.
- Put an air mattress or comfy blankets on the living room floor and fall asleep watching a movie.
Exchange foot rubs.
- Make it a candle light night.
- Prepare dinner from another culture together. Play music and watch a movie that celebrates that area.
- Have cheese, sausage & crackers.
- Have an outside picnic under the stars.
- Exchange back rubs.
- Work together to make a playlist of songs from when you were first together.
- Dress up for each other. Wear fancy clothes and set a fancy table.
- Chopped Challenge at home. Have a friend fill a bag with ingredients neither of you know about. Set a timer and race the clock together.
Do a puzzle together.
Make a homemade pizza.
Spend some time writing out 10-15 memories each. Then read them out loud to each other.
Blind taste test. Each of you collect some yummy treats like peanut butter, cool whip, pixie sticks, honey, cream cheese, strawberries, etc. Don’t let the other see. Take turns bringing out an ingredient.
Organize digital family pictures together.
Make your own massage oil.
- Unplug from everything and just be together.
- Read aloud to each other.
- Play a childhood game.
- Learn a new hobby together.
- Play darts.
- Plan a your next trip.
- Dream together. Talk about where you’d like to be in the next 5, 10, 15 years in your relationship, with the kids, with finances, in your careers, etc.
- Take YouTube dance lessons. Salsa anyone?
- Do a “Skype” double date with a friend couple who has moved cross country.
- Make a list of the top ten reasons you’re happy to have him as your hubby while he makes a list about why he’s happy to have you!
- Play cards. We like Golf. Someone recommended Casino, we can’t wait to try it!
- Have a really special fancy dessert from a near by bakery.
- Walk around the neighborhood, keeping your house in view.
- Watch the first movie you ever watched together.
- Search online for your dream home.
- Exchange a scalp massage.
- Build a fort together.
- Take a bath together.
- Make fancy popcorn.
- Share (or remember together) embarrassing moments from the past.
- Look at your wedding album.
- Start a journal together. Write love notes in it and keep in near your bed.
Tips for Keeping the Kids Busy
- Get them a movie to watch in another room.
- If you do rest time, like we do, send them on their way.
- Create a “sleepover” feel, letting the kids share a room for the night.
- Include the kids. Let them be waiters/waitresses, serve the meal and clean up after.
Sooooo…. what did I choose? I bought a couple of beers we have never tried for a mini beer tasting. We also enjoyed some yummy cheese, sausage and crackers. We played one of our favorite 2 player games
Tell us your favorite at home date night idea in the comment section!