Math activities are something that happens a lot around here, whether I prompt it or not. M and M love math just like their Dad. They are always measuring things, playing games that involve using their math skills and asking me to drill them with math facts. Since math is NOT one my strengths, I’m constantly stretching my brain trying to keep up. And they are only in 1st and 2nd grade! YIKES! I guess I better keep playing math games right along with them 🙂
A few weeks ago we had a lot of fun with math and movement in our hopscotch addition game. I figured the kids would love to mix movement and math again… and I was right!
Math Bowling with Capri Sun Pouches
What you need: a few Capri Sun pouches (we used 13), permanent marker and a ball We spent two weeks collecting Capri Sun Roarin’ Waters Flavored Water Beverage, although you can also collect pouches from any of the Capri Sun juice drinks. Once we had a good amount the game came together in 10 minutes.
I love quick-to-prep activities! By the way, this would be a great game to follow a summer party or a backyard play-date! Just make sure all of the Capri Sun pouches make it into a special bag. In fact you can save Capri Sun pouches all the time! Capri Sun partnered with TerraCycle in 2008, and since then more than 200 million Capri Sun pouches have been collected, recycled and upcycled into durable goods. How cool is that?!?!
- Rinse off the pouches and remove the straws.
- Press out any air (and be prepared for some juice to squirt out too).
- Use permanent marker to write numbers and math signs on the back of each Capri Sun pouch. I wrote 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 0. I also wrote the signs +, -, x. This game is easily modified to fit the skills your family is practicing this summer. I should also note that Big M immediately asked where the equal sign was.
- Blow into the hole so that the pouches are full of air and will stand up.
- Set them up and hand your little math whiz a ball!
- Make a math problem with the Capri Sun pouches that were knocked down.
- Answer the problem out loud.
- Set them back up and knock them down again!
Easy and fun right?!? Do you have an activity that mixes math and movement? Share it in the comments.
Capri Sun has been listening
Like any really successful brand Capri Sun has been listening to and learning from their best customers (Moms) since the beginning. Their most recent updates are very exciting!
- Capri Sun juice drinks are made with no artificial preservatives, colors or flavors.
- Of these varieties – Capri Sun Juice Drink, Capri Sun Roarin’ Waters Flavored Water Beverage, Capri Sun 100% Juice, Capri Sun Super V Fruit and Vegetable Juice Drink – I’m personally really excited about the flavored water.
- The pouches are now even stronger. (How many cool kid activities will we be able to come up with using these? YAY!)
- The new clear bottom pouches allow Moms to see the goodness inside every Capri Sun pouch.
- Find Capri Sun on Facebook.
What are your favorite summer family activities?