A little over a month ago I decided it was time to lose this baby weight (surrogate baby is almost 5 months old… so yeah it’s time!) I knew I needed something motivating, something different and inspiring. I found it. Prescribe Nutrition was offering a Get Balanced online course and I signed up just in time. The thing is I got so much more than I bargained for. Sure the scale is moving, but I also started learning (you know about me right? LEARNING! EEEE… I love learning.)
The course ended and we are working as a family to add in more whole foods, eliminate some of the nasty stuff and learn as much as we can about healthy ways to fuel our bodies. I shared on Facebook my concerns about Little M. Pop over and add to the conversation.
The super awesome news is that Prescribe Nutrition has been working on a course specifically for kids! Kids Rule is designed to get kids involved in the process of getting the good stuff in their little bodies. (Make sure to see the bottom of this post for information on the course AND a special discount!)
Healthy snacks for kids… grazing tray
Meal time at our house is already pretty healthy, so adjusting snacks will make a huge difference. That means offering whole foods rather than packaged snacks. A while ago I read about grazing trays for kids’ snacks. A healthy variety of snacks are left out and kids can munch when they feel like it.
We’ve been using a grazing tray for about 2 weeks now and it’s fantastic! It solves two problems: I don’t have to hear “I’m hungry” a hundred times and there is always a healthy option available! I try to keep the flavors complimentary so I do one sweet tray and one savory tray.
Sweet Grazing Tray
- Banana and Almond Butter Sandwiches
- Apple Slices
- Almond Butter
Grazing Tray Tips
- Put it on ice. You can buy a party tray that holds ice (the kind that is meant to sit out for hours) or get creative with what you have.
- Prep some of the stuff ahead of time so it’s easy to fill.
- Set out plates for your kids to load up.
- Add foods that they already love, and foods that they might try. (A grazing tray takes the pressure off and they might try something they normally wouldn’t because no one is watching for their reaction.)
Savory Grazing Tray
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Green Onions
- Bell Peppers
- Faux Ranch (Click for the Printable Recipe. Trust me you’ll want to try it!)
A special deal just for you!
The girls behind Kids Rule are offering my readers 20% off the Kids Rule online course (and just so you know, I get a little chunk of change for everyone who signs up through me!) all you have to do is enter the code MWLP20.
I am already signed up for Kids Rule and boy am I ready for everything they offer…
- Full access to Megan & Katie – Functional Nutritionists on a mission to make healthy fun. You’ll have direct access via the message board where you’ll get constant support, tips and tricks.
- Recipes… like the yummy Faux Ranch!
- Anna will guide you through some of the challenging territory in an accessible and loving way that only a parent could provide. She’s just the best there is. Podcasts that will break down: why nutrition matters, debunk common nutrition myths, navigate food sensitivities, teach you the mystery behind picky eating and how behavior is so intricately linked to food.
- Fun activities & challenges to do with your kids.
- A community of parents and kids alike who will be a part of your journey. You’re not alone – not for one second!
Teach you the mystery behind picky eating!!! I would not call M and M picky eaters but I am so interested to find out how the foods wer’e providing could make them even more adventurous.
Learn more about Kids Rule and sign up using your special code MWLP20. Kids Rule starts Jul 29th, 2013 and goes through Aug 9th, 2013….
Let’s start working on happy, healthy kids!!!