Meal time at our house is already pretty healthy, so adjusting snacks will make a huge difference. That means offering whole foods rather than packaged snacks. A while ago I read about grazing trays for kids’ snacks. A healthy variety of snacks are left out and kids can munch when they feel like it.
Healthy snacks for kids… grazing tray
We’ve been using a grazing tray for about 2 weeks now and it’s fantastic! It solves two problems: I don’t have to hear “I’m hungry” a hundred times and there is always a healthy option available! I try to keep the flavors complimentary so I do one sweet tray and one savory tray.
Sweet Grazing Tray
- Banana and Almond Butter Sandwiches
- Apple Slices
- Almond Butter
Grazing Tray Tips
- Put it on ice. You can buy a party tray that holds ice (the kind that is meant to sit out for hours) or get creative with what you have.
- Prep some of the stuff ahead of time so it’s easy to fill.
- Set out plates for your kids to load up.
- Add foods that they already love, and foods that they might try. (A grazing tray takes the pressure off and they might try something they normally wouldn’t because no one is watching for their reaction.)
Savory Grazing Tray
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Green Onions
- Bell Peppers
- Faux Ranch (Click for the Printable Recipe. Trust me you’ll want to try it!)