Learning how to spell is important. (I think we can all agree on that). Spelling practice can be really boring. (Again, I think we can all agree). Spelling can be fun though, we prove that every week around here! Little M is always excited to see what type of spelling activities I have up my sleeve, and I am always on the look out for new ways to make spelling fun.
Here are a few guidelines I use when planning a spelling activity, along with a list of great activities to get your kids enjoying spelling practice right way!
How to Make Spelling Fun and 25 Spelling Activities for Kids
Add movement. That’s pretty much my motto for everything. Since my kids are in constant bounce mode (are we the only ones?) I know that adding movement will always get their attention quickly. And adding movement to learning ensures that they will stay engaged longer. YAY!
- Spelling Hopscotch – Simply 2nd Resources
- ABC Slam – Toddler Approved
- Sight Word Treasure Hunt – Hands On: As We Grow
- Sight Word Soccer – Coffee Cups and Crayons
- Scoop and Spell – Imagination Tree
Make it a game. We are very serious game people. Which means there is almost always a game in play at our house. I love to throw in a spelling game once in a while. Extra Tip: Some of these games are really great for transition moments. If you have your little ones spelling list (or just think up a quick list) these games will be perfect when you’re waiting at a restaurant or killing time before school.
- Spelling Word Tic Tac Toe – A Mom with a Lesson Plan
- Spelling Hangman – Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas
- Spelling Battleship – Deceptively Educational
- Missing Letters Spelling Game – Imagination Soup
- Party Blower Spelling Game – Kids Activities Blog
Pair it with a holiday. Kids love to celebrate holidays with activities and art projects. Why not extend the fun with some playful learning as well? You’re already celebrating anyway!
- Valentine Word Activity – Buggy and Buddy
- Easter Spelling Words with Plastic Eggs – A Mom with a Lesson Plan
- Spiderweb Spelling – A Mom with a Lesson Plan
- Spelling Turkeys – A Mom with a Lesson Plan
- Sight Word Christmas Tree – J Daniel 4s Mom
Use items you already have. There is no need to go crazy creating fancy spelling word activities. These activities are fairly simple to prep and use items you have around the house.
- Sensory Spelling Cards – A Mom with a Lesson Plan
- Spaghetti Spelling Fun – A Mom with a Lesson Plan
- Tinker Toy Spelling Practice – A Mom with a Lesson Plan
- Simple Spelling Puzzles – No Time For Flash Cards
- Seek and Find Spelling – What Do We Do All Day
Get Creative. Have fun when deciding what type of spelling activities your kids will love. Try to incorporate some of their favorite toys or objects.
- Scrabble Spelling Practice – A Mom with a Lesson Plan
- Dot Sticker Spelling Scramble – School Time Snippets
- Spelling Garage – 123 Homeschool 4 Me
- Window Writing Spelling Words – Teach Mama
- Roll and Spell – Well Nurtured Plants and Pillars
Does your little one have a favorite way to practice spelling? Share how you make spelling fun in the comments.